You’ve probably done it before. I know I’ve done it.
Had a couple of drinks over a couple of hours and figured you were ok to drive. You know it’s not safe to drink and drive, and even worse, if you were to be pulled over in a spotcheck, and blow over the legal limit, you’re losing your license.
We’ve all been told that having a drink an hour and then waiting, “Oh, you’re fine! You won’t come close to the legal limit. You won’t blow over. Have another before you go.”
Ah yes, the myth of one drink an hour being ok to then drive.
Let me tell you my story. I could have been killed. I guess I’m thankful that I’ve “only” lost my license for a year. Losing my license has been hell though. I can’t take my son fishing unless I’m depending on other people and their schedule. I’ve been doing a lot of hitch hiking lately too.
I have been very careful about drinking and driving. I did it once, many years ago when I was a teenager and was pulled over by the Ontario Provincial Police. The officer that pulled me over decided to let me off with a warning and followed me home. I resolved never again that I’d drive after drinking a lot. I figured though that the one drink an hour rule was something I could live with.
Not long ago, I spent a very enjoyable sunny afternoon outside. Over the period of about five hours, I had five cans of beer. I stopped drinking for about two hours, and then had a glass of wine. I felt fine. A little tired, but I wasn’t stumbling or slurring my words. I then decided to drive.
Guess what happened? I drove in to a house. I completely totaled my vehicle.
If I had one of these – my own personal breathalyzer – it would never have happened.
The Police came. I panicked. I didn’t know what was going to happen to me. I knew I had been drinking, but surely I wasn’t impaired. Had I fallen asleep? I might have. Perhaps I would have had the accident even if I hadn’t been drinking. But if I hadn’t been drinking, I wouldn’t have been charged with Impaired Driving and Blowing over the legal limit of 0.08. Yes, although I followed all the rules we’ve been told about how many drinks are safe – a drink an hour, I still blew over the legal limit.
It could happen to you too. The myth about the drink an hour is … well …a myth. Since I’ve been charged, I’ve discovered that there are so many variables including your body weight, your fat percentage, how much food you ate, how tired you might be, even your own circadian rhythms can have an effect at how your body processes alcohol. You might not even feel impaired, but your blood alcohol concentration might end up being over the legal limit.
And if it is, it’s going to cost you. Thousands in legal bills probably. Thousands in increased insurance costs. The emotional cost of being considered a criminal.
This $200.00 unit could save you thousands of dollars. As well as save you from ruining your life.
Let’s look at the cost of getting pulled over and blowing over the legal limit:
1. Automatic license suspension. In most jurisdictions, your license will be suspended for up to 90 days, before you are even found guilty.
2. Additional license suspension if you are found guilty, in many jurisdictions for a full year. Can you afford to lose your license for a full year? Use your vehicle for business (like I do) – guess what happens to your business? Think about it.
3. Legal fees – even if you’re not found guilty after fighting the charges, you are looking at $5,000 to $15,000 for your defense. And you still might be found guilty.
4. Fines of $1,000.00 and more for your first offense (and sometimes, jail time) are not uncommon in many North American jurisdictions.
5. Your insurance rates are going to skyrocket. Ten Thousand Dollars A Year, maybe. Maybe Twelve Thousand.
6. Ignition Interlock – installed at your expense, which will prevent your vehicle from starting with an alcohol reading of just 0.02. And it’s logged. Cost? About $1,400.00 for one year.
7. Time off work to attend “Alcohol Education and Treatment” classes, sometimes mandatory in some jurisdictions, in order to get your license back.
Total Cost: $$$$$$ Tens of Thousands Of Dollars
Less than 200 bucks.
You do the math. You like to have a few drinks with your friends. You’re independent. You think you know when you’re ok or when you’ve gone over the line. Are you sure? Willing to bet Tens Of Thousands of dollars and your live being changed on it?
Be sure. Be safe. Free shipping.
Hey, I’m authorized to get you a $5.00 discount too. Just enter the coupon code “5OFF”.
Don’t take chances. Don’t risk it. Know if you’re over the limit.
Perhaps one of your loved ones enjoys a few drinks and thinks they know their limits. This would be one of the most caring and loving gifts you could give, to help your loved one know – and to prevent them from having a life of no driver’s license hell and possibly saving them literally tens of thousands of dollars for a mistake which could be so costly.